Sunday, March 06, 2005

Salsa Progress ...

Let's see ... I will be starting my Intermediate 2 this week. Yay! I managed to cling on to this activity far longer then I would normally ... :P Partly because of some motivations I guess. :) As my group of friends who normally go to Salsa classes with me grew smaller and smaller, there's no doubt that I need to expand my circle of friends wider and not restricted to just certain groups anymore. But again because of my shy nature, I cannot make friends with people without another friend of mine or the other party starting it first. Then only will I take off my protective gear... lol seriously I think its a hindrance :P

So I have covered Beginner 1 & 2 and Intermediate 1. Normally at this stage, people are able to dance on the dance floor ... but I think it could just be my lack or courage or concentration, I never could really finish a dance... actually I kinda lack of practice too. I seriously couldn't remember much of the steps I learnt when I was down to Union Square last Friday. I was at a lost of what to execute and at my level after completing intermediate 1, I was dancing like a noob with my cousin on the dance floor. She kept telling me to just do simple steps and its ok but to me its not. Why? It's a self pride thing I guess. I have been to Salsa classes and completed my Intermediate 1 and I have to resort to dancing simple steps? It's more of a humiliation to me although I dun say it out.

SO ..... PRACTICE is WHAT I NEED TO DO....
1. Recall all my steps
2. Put them down in paper
3. Practice, practice and more practice
4. Observe how people execute the moves on the dance floor
5. Getting advice hopefully from experts on the dance floor ...

Ok set ... this is what I need to do if I want to try to take part in the Salsa Competition in April I heard. I need to feel comfortable dancing on the dance floor (my cousin will take care of that while I take care of self practice). I need a dance partner. I have 2 person in mind. My cousin and a gal (Caitlyn) from my class or rather used to be from my class (she stopped going to class). Anyway I have asked both of them before. Caitlyn very unpredictable ... dunno she interested or not. But I figured out if I want to get her as my partner, we will need to spend alot of time together to practice. I doubt that will ever be possible. My cousin is actually a very good choice since she is quite a regular on the dance floor compared to Caitlyn who has yet to be comfortable with it. :P Time to practice is not a problem since she stays nearby and we are quite close also :) the only issue is if we need fanciful steps, like dips or swing or picking her up, I will need to put down alot of effort in building my strength up. At least that's what she said.

So ... let's see about it ... I have few things to accomplish to take part in it.
1. Practice and Execute
2. Dance Partner
3. Time to Practice ....

Wish my luck ;)

No comments: